Gas Energy Australia is the national peak body representing the downstream gas fuels industry, encompassing Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG), Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG), Compressed Natural Gas (CNG), Hydrogen (H2) and, increasingly, a raft of new renewable gases. The industry comprises major companies, medium and small businesses across the gas fuels supply chain including refiners, fuel marketers, equipment manufacturers, gas transporters, consultants and service providers...
Representing Australia's leading gas providers, Gas Energy Australia is committed to the responsible promotion of downstream gas, its use in 7 million Aussie homes and 130,000 businesses, as well as its reliance in supporting domestic manufacturing industries.
Established in 1958 (originally as Australian Liquefied Petroleum Gas Association), Gas Energy Australia has earned a reputation as a leader in the identification, development and achievement of positive policy and technical outcomes to champion issues affecting gas producers and suppliers, as well as their commercial and household customers.
The Association has gone through a few iterations over is 60-plus year history.
- Established 1958 in north Sydney, with a governing council.
- Incorporated in 1989 with a Board of Directors, instituted Articles of Association and relocated to Redfern (Sydney).
- Renamed as LPG Australia in 2009.
- In 2010 established 4-year business and investment plans, while relocating to Canberra.
- A new Constitution covering gaseous fuels was endorsed in 2011.
- Renamed Gas Energy Australia in 2012.
We are dedicated to generating more informed understanding and appreciation of the evolving role gas plays, and must play into the future, to deliver the modern economic, environmental and social contribution relied upon by the entire community.
Gas is a major contributor to the national economy, as well as the economies of all states and territories. Its interconnection with almost all facets of life is multi-layered:
- For very high heats - in the range of 800-1,300 degrees Celcius, to facilitate modern industrial processes.
- As an essential base ingredient to make the products and components we rely on every day, including plastics, glass, rubber, refrigeration, autoparts, machinery, fertilisers, pharmaceuticals... the list goes on.
- Fast, responsive and affordable heating and cooking in 7 million homes.
- Commercial cooking and heating in restaurants, bars, clubs and cafes across the country.
- More than 20 million cylinders across homes, backyards, community and charity groups, small hospitality businesses (food trucks and coffee vans), caravans and work-sites.
But the Australian gas industry is also playing a pivotal, leading role in developing renewable gases that lead to net zero emissions as part of a decarbonising economy.
Gas is an Australian success story, with proud traditions and a lasting legacy. It remains, and will continue to be, a mainstay in the Australian way of life.
As such, Gas Energy Australia is a driving force for the promotion and recognition of the modern, and ever-changing, contribution the downstream gas sector makes to to benefit of the country and its customers.
Gas Energy Australia is an important partner with the Australian Gas Industry Trust and the World LPG Association. We are also a foundation partner in the development of a whole-of-industry approach to CleanerCheaperFuels.
Under the Gas Energy Australia Constitution and Associate Alliance Deed, adopted in 2011, Membership is available to suitable downstream gas producers, suppliers and their component entities via subscriptions encapsulated under two main categories : Membership and Associateship.
Members are bound by the Constitution and afforded rights and entitlements. They are directly engaged and involved in all aspects of the Association's activities and functions.
Associates are bound by an Associate Alliance Deed. While they do not enjoy member rights and benefits, they are actively engaged and involved in all considerations pursued by the Association.
For more details on the current membership of Gas Energy Australia, see Our Members.